Friday, October 24, 2008

art journal

So I had this idea somewhat randomly and then applied it to teaching.

I create random pieces with Photoshop and Illustrator all the time, and then they just get lost in my hard drive somewhere and forgotten. I thought, I should print these off right when I make them, date them, and throw them in a little journal. I just like having stuff in the real world instead of only digital.

I could make my students do the same general idea. Whenever they complete an assignment, they print it out, title it, date it, and throw it in their art journal for the class, which they'll turn in at the end. Maybe even if they're working on a project spanning several days, they could print off what they have so far each day, and basically document the entire process.

And here's the clincher (for Geoff): on the back, or below, or somewhere, have them reflect on where the idea came from, and the general process they went through, and how they feel about it. I actually do believe in reflecting, so for them to actually think about and see their own creative process would be incredibly educational for them, not to mention how great it would be later on in their lives as a bit of an unorthodox journal for posterity.

So that's the idea. I think it's the best one yet.

Fertig.

No comments: